Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Oh no, not this debate again....
...Let's say next year BMW comes up with a steering system that drives the corners for you. It always uses the optimal speed and driving line making you look like a driving god. You don't get a steering wheel, just paddles for left and right. It's easier, faster, and you lose less speed in corners. What's not to like? You'd be a luddite to still want a steering wheel, right? Or would you miss the control? The feeling that it's you who's driving the car?

Ask a Eurofighter pilot whether they prefer the fly by wire (where they send intentions and the plane computes what it needs to do to comply) against the best direct control fighter, and they will go for the high tech every time...
Its just some people really like high tech and what it can achieve. Doesn't make you (or them) wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Have you tried upshifting from the back side using the middle and ring fingers? With my hands at 9 and 3, my thumb easily hits the downshift and my middle and ring finger hit the lower part of the upshift. I don't fell any clunkiness or sloppiness to the paddles. The only time I ever shift with the stick is the 1-2 shift when I'm leaving a light, especially when turning.
THanks Richard - Yeah I do notice a better action of the paddles if you press at their lowest point, not perfect but better than the looseness you see pressing high on the paddle. Pity that I was taught about 10 & 2, not 9 & 3. Old habits die hard...

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0