View Single Post
      02-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #18
npd2983
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 128i MT; '09 335d

Bring on some smaller BMWs!

The 1 series convertible is not a roadster by any stretch of the imagination. The 1 is several inches taller than a 3 series, primarily to make room for back seats. I doubt something like a Z2 would be that tall since it has no pretense of back seats. And these days the Z4 is quite a large car. Don't get me wrong - it is hardly bloated, rather it is pretty, long, and sculpted. In this regards is reminds me of roadsters "of old." But let's not kid ourselves, a Z4 is nowhere near the smaller size of a Miata, Solstice, Honda S2000, etc.

There are many "size choices" of coupes and sedans right now at BMW. There are 3, 5 and 7s on the sedans, 1s 3s and 6s on the coupes (or convertible coupes), but there is only 1 size roadster. It is Z4. Obviously BMW doesn't have much of a market if they go up in size - I mean the Z8 is an amazing collector car, but I doubt if a car like that were offered again it would move off the lot in reasonable numbers. So the logical direction to move is downsizing...

Cheers!
Appreciate 0