View Single Post
      09-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
You may have read some of my posts regarding my rear wheels. I have style 296 BMW wheels (in some of my posts I made an error and called them 293). During a long US road trip my car suffered cracks in both rear wheels. One was changed in the state of Idaho (change to a new wheel took place at a designated tire shop by BMW ` BMW did not have the equipment believe it or not to change a tire at that location). Anyway, the wheel changed in Idaho I took back to Canada. During the changeout of the wheel the tire shop (not BMW) discovered 2 more hairline cracks in the other rear wheel. Once I got back to Canada BMW replaced the wheel with the 2 hairline cracks under warranty, however not the one that was changed out in Idaho.

If I had to do it again I would like you research the car a bit more before purchase, perhaps if I had done so I would have selected a better wheel or wheel size/type.

Like you I drove a M3 before with 19 inch wheels. Never had a problem. I am now in the frame of mind that 19 inch wheels and RFT is a very poor engineering design and bound to result in trouble down the road. Once my RFT are due to be changed I will keep the same wheels and go to Non-Run-Flat-Tires.

If you purchase the car then go with a better 19 wheel and change to RFT. If you lease the car then do like others did change the RFT out to NRFT then back to RFT when you return the car at lease end.

Meanwhile I avoid and blemish / pothole / manhole cover in the road like the plague.

Good luck with your purchase.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0