View Single Post
      02-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #14
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

What i want is a Z435is with kerosene lanterns in place of the HID headlights. Band brakes on the drums fore and aft. Steel wheels. Mufflers made of rolled mild steel. Mohair bench seats, non-adjustable. Flat windshields, non-safety glass. Carburetor. Maps in the glove box. Hand-crank windows. Belted tires with inner-tubes. Oh, and must have a canvas top, one-ply, and that must leak. Etc. Etc.

In other words, DCT-deniers, let's go all the way on our nostalgia trip back through automotive history.

Have driven my Z4s35i with DCT exclusively in manual mode since arrival October '09. Drove my '07 E93 335i Step same way for 30 months. Use both paddles and that stick thingee on the center console, whichever is best for driving situation of the moment. Having had many many MT cars in the past, will say that BMW's DCT is a brilliant technology lightyears ahead of any MT. It gets your head out of the car and into driving.

But three buts....

But....you will need a bit of patience in the beginning to get tuned to its rhythm and get your timing right (just like an MT).

But....you need to understand power curves and shift points and know what gear you want to be in (just like an MT). Which is to say that if you are a crappy driver with an MT, you won't be much better with DCT.

But....if you are a true Luddite, none of the above will matter to you.
Appreciate 0