View Single Post
      02-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
no - the DCT does have great paddles. it seems this manual v. DCT discussion crops up often on this site. yes, manuals are fun, but they are much slower and less fuel efficient than the DCT; plus, for me the paddles are really fun as they work brilliantly. I also have had many manuals over the years and now that I have experienced the DCT and PDK, I will never look back. for me, it would be like lamenting the change from hand cranking the engine to start the motor to electric starters . . . nothing personal, it is just that sometimes technology and advancement are good - especially in this case
That is exactly how I feel. I have had a ton of standard cars over the years and loved them. I always felt that they made the car feel like more of a sportscar. Not anymore. I think the dct is brilliant. Its like having three different transmissions depending on your mood. I can see why Ferrari has dropped standard transmissions in favor of these. It has to rank as one of my favorite features of the z4. If you havent tried it out and felt the three different modes, you owe it to give it a try.
Appreciate 0