08-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #61
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
Anyway, upon collection this afternoon I noticed a whine that wasn't there before : ( I carried on driving rather than taking it straight back just in case it was me, and the noise had always been there, but no, its definately a new noise.

So I called the dealer and they're taking it back in tomorrow. : (

I'm thinking its the LPFP in the tank. But why would it suddenly start making a noise? Surely chaging the o2 sensor in the exhaust couldn't cause this??

I've tried to do a recording of the whine and uploaded it here (.mov)

For those that have also had this issue, does this whine sound like your whine?

It sounds as if its coming from behind the drivers' seat (RHD car) or near the rear wheel...

Anyway, fingers crossed the dealer hear it and sort it.

David
Hey David, I got the EXACT same noise as you, esp after hearing your sound file. I started getting it when my new car hit below 1/2 tank for the 1st time and I had it for a while during break-in period. I noticed the noise at idle and it is strange because if I suddenly stomp on the brakes (do this on safe roads w/ no one behind you if you wanna test this!) it seems that the noise is interrupted.

*However*, good news, if yours is anything like mine, the noise has suddenly disappeared now (I'm over 2,100kms), doesn't matter what tank level I'm at. I'm hoping it's a breaking-in issue but so far so good, no more noise! If you are still breaking it in, I would advise maybe driving it more. If you must have it checked right away, make sure the techs don't take your baby on a joyride or better yet, drive it for them instead. Good luck!
Appreciate 0