01-13-2024, 01:45 PM   #35
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
I've lived with septic systems for most of my life and honestly I would not have it any other way. Here are a few things I know or have learned
The system must be properly designed, sized and constructed.
I really recommended pea stone under the tanks and connecting pipes with proper compaction to eliminate setting. Have risers on the tanks to ground level rather than letting some lazy contractor bury the lids.
The only system that is legal in most area's uses a dosing tank before the leach field. If your codes don't require that do it any way. The field will last a lot longer.
The field should have clean outs on the ends of the runs. I cut mine to ground level and I fit screw on caps. It makes mowing easier and when I need to flush the leach fields it is easy to find the clean outs.
Keep heavy equipment off the system.
Read up on what you can put down the system. I do use a garbage disposal but it is seldom used as I use a composter most of the time.
The best part of having a septic system is having a well. Have the water tested and treat as required. I do have to run a water softener. When I go to friends who are on city water, I can't stand the taste of their water. Well water makes a much better cup of coffee IMO
Last but not least know that the cost in maintaining a septic and well pale by comparison to the monthly cost of most water/sewage bills and if you are ever in a sewer assessment you will rue the day you got hooked up.

Last edited by Car-Addicted; 01-13-2024 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615505.00