View Single Post
      05-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

All-Seasons on the Z, Continental DWS vs. General G-MAX?

Living in the North East with winters and some light (occasionally heavy, but I won't be able to get enough clearance anyway regardless of tires) I decided to get a set of Ultra High Performance All-Seasons instead of a dedicated set of Summer/Winter. Just having summers won't do with the cold weather/low temperature we get for a few months. Having winter tires seems silly for the little snow we actually get, and I'd imagine the tire would "expire" before tread is through.

Debating between the Continental DWS or General G-MAX AS 03. Probably not many people have them on their Z, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them on different vehicles or in the past. General consensus is, both are great tires, but the DWS have a mushier sidewall while the General could use some noise reduction/comfort increase. Most people say the General is a fantastic tire and comparable to the DWS, especially for the price (Continental owns General now, so being sister tires I'd imagine them using similar if not the same compound). However, I found the tires for $100 difference. The Continental also comes with a $100 Adidas Gift Card, and if we take it for face value, they are the same price.

I like the General more (tread patterns look more aggressive, stiffer sidewall) but I find it hard to convince myself to get the mediocre brand compared to a Big 3 for the same price. (Warranty is 10k less for the General, so the General has to be made inferior intentionally in some way). Additionally, since I went up in size, (18 to 19) and lost about 1/4 inch of sidewall, I'm afraid if I go General, the stiff sidewall along with the less tire buffer will make the ride just as rough as the 18 RFT. Thoughts? Which one would you get?
Appreciate 0