View Single Post
      03-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #22
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Raven, do you have a torque spec on those bolts?
The bolts I torqued where strut bolts and torsion struts, as there is no manual for the E89 available, I researched my old 6 Series and the TIS for the latest models i.e the 3 Series which the car is based on, I found lots of commonality on the spec and kept within +/- 'x' newtons to ensure I was not over stressing and common sense one click of the torque wrench (hope the last bit made sense). Sadly cannot remember the values I used as I did this nearly a year ago!!!!!
All other chassis panel bolts I did with common sense, mostly sensing movement and again repeat common sense......
The biggest risk is actually in bolts being under torqued, there is a fault were the torsion struts between the fire wall and the suspension struts being slightly loose (after 'x' K miles ) and when I had the grills off I checked the front ones.
Any bolts which are for holding items in place I just checked that they were tight, to stop stuff rattling or vibrating. I then covered every bolt with ACF 50 to keep clean and non-tarnished.
The bumper panel mentioned in this thread has all the torqx bolts on the top and then on each corner there are two 10mm nuts but hard to play around with so I left them. I was able to really get a good gap between the panel and the front line of the bonnet/hood.
As for the hood closing height I put copper grease on the stops and judged how hard the bonnet had rested on them (not the best of explanations but it worked) also checked the gap to the headlights.

Last edited by raven333; 03-09-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 0