05-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Forgive my ignorance: Can one not simply replace the bulb with an LED?

We are planning on picking up a 2010 Z4 on Saturday and one of the first things I plan to do is swap out the yellow angel eyes to something that is bluish-white. I'd prefer LEDs for the brightness, but if it can't be done inexpensively, I suppose we'll settle for different halogen (H8?) bulbs.
This can be done. That is to say, you can buy LED H8 bulbs and replace the halogen ones and get a bluish-white tint. However, even when you do that, it will not look like the 2014 LCI angel eyes because of the design itself. Haven't looked into it in much depth, but the pre-LCI AEs will have hot spots, namely the inner circle being brighter than the outer. Also, only at certain angles will it appear the brightess. The new LCI AEs, due to the design, will look just as bright at any angle.

So, long answer short, yes you can buy LED bulbs and put them into your 2010 Z4 for white/blue AEs. However, they will not look exactly like the LCI ones, even if you use HIDs (there will still be hotspots regardless).
Appreciate 0