View Single Post
      04-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
williakz
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
I just checked on NA and you are right on the price difference, boy these packages look great and the dct addition is a bargain itself.
Yup! For hard-core doubters (not you!), go to one of the BMW parts sites and check out the suspension and engine components. SAME!

Quote:
I think we have a misunderstanding, I pointed that for the reasons I mentioned a flashing or a distant flashing option from any reputable shop wouldn't cost that 500$ you suggested and that the 340hp of the iS aren't ''that'' much sharper than a tuned at 360hp and at some point smoother.
I'm not getting your cost point. Are you suggesting that Microsoft should only charge 25 cents for MS Word because that's the cost of the CD, box, and shrink wrap? Or are you justifying Microsoft's $250 price (or whatever) because of its past R&D, current support, and future development costs? Please try to make your point a different way; I'd like to understand what you're trying to say.

You continue to misunderstand my proposal. It centers on the proposition that the "sHADOW" tune match EXACTLY the stock 35is ECU program WHATEVER its imperfections. That way, ESS provides an easily understood, market accepted (people BUY 35is cars!) step up for Z4 enthusiasts while saving them approx. $5,000! That will buy a LOT of customer loyalty which will serve ESS well in enticing those with the ability and desire to take the next step to upgrade the "sHADOW" to full Stage 1/Stage 2 tuning programs. Certainly there are some, like yourself, that see no reason not to pursue the maximum performance possible at the earliest opportunity. Great! I'm simply saying there are many more people who need to take smaller steps, take them more slowly, and possibly get off the tuning track well before you would.

Quote:
Do you mind commenting how different the 35i and iS felt?
As you may have surmised from my previous posts, I am a driver of singularly undistinguished ability. I do not presently (and probably never will) possess the skills to fully exploit or appreciate even cars of modest ability, let alone the 35i/35is Z4s in stock trim. The ESS Stage 1/Stage 2 tuning mods are really out of the question for me from a control standpoint. That said, I can tell you that prior to my driving it, my salesman pulled our 2012 35is out of the dealership onto a 5 lane (center turn lane) highway in a major U.S. city and told me to hang on tight. With no traffic ahead of him (and no police behind him) he punched it and the car went from 0 to 85mph (45mph PSL) in less time than it took me to scream or to sh*t myself! It then went from 85 to 35 in a blink so he could fly into a very hard right turn, floor it back to 60mph, and immediately slam on the brakes to a dead stop! "So whaddaya think?" he asked. I was ready to punch him!

I hope this helps you to understand my perspective on performance tuning.

Last edited by williakz; 04-24-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0