View Single Post
      04-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
williakz
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
If you approach it solely in $ terms a flash at home solution like ess will disappoint you. You are not paying for 1,2 or 10 maps, you are paying for a flashloading device, r&d and distribution. Dialing in different tuning parameters is a matter of minutes for a programmer with resources for r&d who has his job done.
Not sure I understand your point here. The cost components of the ESS system are irrelevant to me. I am an end user and care nothing for R&D and distribution processes. I only care about the cost/benefit to me.

Quote:
The 5300$ price tag you mention doesn't come down to 35hp and a rather useless* overboost function, it includes preselected options such as suspension, gearbox, aerodynamics etc.
This is simply incorrect. The 35i with M Sport package is the same car as the 35is with the exception of side nameplates and N54 ECU programs. Same car, $5,300 price difference. This is why I believe a modestly priced "sHADOW" tuning map could be readily marketed to those wanting the 35is but unwilling or incapable of paying the stiff price differential from the 35i (like ME!). BTW, you don't have to believe me about the price differential; go on BMW USA (or GREECE?) and configure two cars - one 35i and one 35is - with same options. Then compare prices and report back here.

Quote:
My point is that you have a car with a potential to increase its output by a good 30%+ with a software only and unfortunately there is no trial option to test various boost setups or an entry level tune package.
Have you driven that iS yourself or was it just an example? How does it feel?
I don't deny the potential for significant performance increases through ECU program tuning, how could I and why would I? ESS Stage 1 and Stage 2 engine output is a matter of fact, not conjecture. I am also not complaining about the lack of a trial option for the boosts. What I AM saying is that there exists, I BELIEVE, a sizable market for ESS to exploit with a gentle, reasonably price tuning product ("sHADOW") that would simply turn a 35i into a performance clone of its 35is stablemate for a fraction of their $5,300 list price differential. Furthermore, many of us (35i owners) are justifiably leery of committing almost $1,000 to SCARY tuning maps that turn our wonderful 35i roadsters into monstrous dragsters we have little confidence we can safely control. The "sHADOW" tune allows us to move up into a slightly more powerful machine (35is) whose driving behavior is already well-known by many enthusiasts. With this "baby boost" under our belts, many of us could and would then consider moving to the more demanding (and rewarding) boosts of ESS Stage 1 and Stage 2 ECU programs. And, yes, I have driven both 35i and 35is Z4 models.

Last edited by williakz; 04-24-2013 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0