Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
The typical BMW owner is not a car enthusiast. They buy it for the brand and status that comes with it. They don't know anything about he car's performance characteristics or how to maintain it. So yes, BMW needs to have the car tell the owner when the oil is low, when the tires are low on air, etc. it makes for a safer driving experience.
What's so ironic about all that (for me personally) is having just returned to the BMW fold after a nearly 40 year absence (last one was a '75 2002!), I still remember a time when only we BMW owners knew what the damn cars were and wouldn't trust maintenance or repairs to anyone but ourselves and maybe the dealer.
I hear you. What's different now is that you literally can't maintain your car entirely by yourself. Without access to the ECU you can't even change the battery. It's a different world.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0