View Single Post
      08-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

On m 2003 Z4, I ditched the run flats and went with Micheline Pilot Exalto A/S. I wanted to get rid of the RFT's as I hated the trammeling and they would not be good in the winter. I also did not want to have to have two sets of tires to swap so I went with an all season.

Probably an important point, I did not buy the Z4 to run the track so having the best summer performance tire was not a driver for me.

I wanted to balance summer performance with winter capability. I know when you balance you give up a little on each end. e.g. there are tires that do better in the snow and tires that are better in the summer.

Another thing that I liked about these tires is the long life.

I had these tires for 4 years and was very happy with them. I put maybe 20K miles on them

I drove these in the snow when there was less than 3" and had no traction issues. In fact, I drove the Z4 all winter in Colorado except when snow was forecast. Drove when snow was on the ground and not deep. I even drove some on ice with no real issues. One time in a parking lot the DSC came on when driving over a very slick patch of ice and the Z4 didn't even swerve.

The warm weather performance has been excellent as well. Many days so far have been warm enough to drive with the top down.

I noticed a huge difference just going from the original RFT's to these. It was like a different car. Handling improved greatly with no trammeling.

I should caveat that I carried a spare tire and jack in the trunk of my 2003 Z4, but I never needed them.