View Single Post
      08-11-2023, 04:05 AM   #7
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

From where does this poor filtration claim come from?
BMS DCI uses S&B Filters... S&B are built to pass or exceed ISO 5011 standards.

From S&B website:
https://sbfilters.com/pages/iso-testing

Quote:
S&B tests to the internationally accepted ISO 5011 Standard when testing for airflow, efficiency and capacity. This is the same protocol used by most of the large automakers.
I did not bother reading the whole ISO standard, but had ChatGPT make a summary of it:

Quote:
ISO 5011 outlines specific testing procedures and requirements that air filters need to meet in order to pass the standard. The following are some key aspects that air filters need to meet to pass ISO 5011:

Filtration Efficiency: The filter needs to demonstrate a certain level of efficiency in removing particulates and contaminants from the air. This efficiency is usually measured in terms of the filter's ability to capture particles of various sizes. The filter's efficiency at different particle sizes is assessed.

Dust Holding Capacity: The filter should be able to hold a certain amount of dust without a significant drop in airflow or efficiency. This is important because as a filter captures particles, it shouldn't become clogged too quickly, leading to reduced performance.

Initial Restriction: This refers to the pressure drop across the filter when the air is flowing through it at a specified rate. The filter should not create an excessively high resistance to airflow initially, as this can affect the engine's performance.

Dust Arrestance Test: This test involves subjecting the air filter to a controlled amount of fine dust over a certain period of time. The filter's efficiency and pressure drop are monitored throughout the test.

Cyclic Test: The filter may need to undergo a cyclic test that simulates real-world conditions, including variations in airflow and dust load. This test helps assess the filter's performance over time and under different operating conditions.

Filter Design and Construction: The filter's design, materials used, and construction play a role in determining its effectiveness and durability. The filter should be designed to maintain its structural integrity and filtration efficiency throughout its operational life.

Documentation and Reporting: To comply with the standard, manufacturers need to provide detailed documentation about the filter's specifications, materials, construction, and performance test results. This helps ensure transparency and allows consumers and regulators to verify compliance.
So it cant be that bad??

Also S&B makes a drop in filter from same material for the OEM airbox.

Of course not maintaining those filters is a big issue... people slap them on and forget about them, they dont clean them or replace them... thats the issue imho.
Also there are knockoff DCI-s out there that arent as good as say BMS DCI. I have seen a video of a 335i that had some other brand filters put on and the material had started coming apart. inlet was full of small pieces of filter material. Dont remember the brand though.... so not all DCI-s are the same. It is a really simple product to replicate after all.

Also when i first installed mine... i noticed it did help with the spooling up a bit. Maybe my OE filter was in need of replacement anyway. This is from my butt dyno though and i dont really have any testing data. Maybe it was a placebo. Tbh i got them just to try them out. Ended up liking the noises. So i kept them.

Also on the heatsoak part... intake air gets heated up by the turbos anyway. A good intercooler is here what is needed to cool it down... so this is more important part to concentrate on... not which intake, filter you are using?