View Single Post
      08-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #41
zpost11
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
The E89 is more fun and better handling than the boxter/MR2/Miata for three main reasons that people tend to forget:

1) It is more comfortable (especially if you replace the oem tires with non-RFTs). Outside the track and while traveling less than 160km/h this is what defines fun and good handling to me. The vast majority of the time I feel happier when I am not uncomfortable (yes, I am looking at you, M sports suspension).
2) It is easier to get sideways (because the (easily tuned) N54 offers more torque from low rpm)
3) It is more fun while you are sideways (because you sit closer to the rear wheels and feel the slide much more directly/violently - like sitting in the back of a bus in a turn, as opposed to sitting in the middle)

Is it a sharper handling tool? No. But you can get a 1 series M coupe for less if that is what you really want. Even an imaginary lighter soft-top Z4 can't compete with that. But then you can also wave goodbye to cruising in comfort...

And why would you want a convertible roadster which isn't comfortable enough for cruising anyway? That being said, I am surprised someone has yet to modify a E89 by removing the roof and hydraulic systems completely.

BTW the Z4 doesn't actually offer 50:50 weight distribution... in fact, is probably the most rear-heavy small BMW that you can buy today. I believe the 28i is 47-53% for instance.

I can understand why you have to defend your choice of purchase (E89) but the statements above are laughable and I don't mean any disrespect.

First of all I own a fully loaded 2007 Z4. Drive the E89 extensively and also driven the 2013-2014 981 (current generation) Boxster many times and in different places.

I can tell you without any doubt that the current generation Boxster is in a whole different league than E89 Z4, SLK, MR2, Miata, etc.... There is simply no comparison between the current generation Boxster and the rest. The current generation Boxster is not simply gorgeous inside & out, its chassis and suspension setup is superior to the Z4 in every way from its stellar 10/10 handling, to its adaptive suspension precision, and its daily comfort as a driver. It surpasses the Z4 in every aspect mentioned above. On top, its a mid engine with excellent balance and weighs some 500 lbs LESS than the Z4. Therefore, your statement that the E89 is more fun and handles better than the Boxster is laughable, mind you this is not an opinion, this is fact. The current Z4 is beautiful in looks, but dynamics and drive it suffers from hardtop, 300-500 lbs extra weight compared to E85 and is really a nice cruiser with a sporting veneer to it. It is a hairdressers car.

2. Second statement you mentioned its easier to get "sideways", don't know what exactly you point to there but rent the Boxster for a week and than come back with this statement, I think not.

BMW Z4 simply does not have the harmonious equilibrium of the Boxster in comfort and sport modes. It might try to come close but not very close at all. And that's why you pay 10-12k more for a similarly optioned Z4/Boxster.

The only person who might agree with you, probably a single professional female or a mommy who simply just likes the look of the Z4 and that's it.

Listen, I am not biased toward BMW nor Porsche, but if you know what your talking about and if you drive both cars for some time, there is really no comparison accept for one, they are both German.
Appreciate 0