08-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #40
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_hf View Post
If they ditch the folding hardtop with a lot of the extra weight being all the way to the rear bumper (hinges, mechanism) and losing the weight in the boot, they can improve the weight distribution. There's more to it than just the 50:50 weight distribution, it's also about where the weight is located relative to the cars gyro point. All that weight (190 kgs in basic trim) reduces performance which can't be all compensated by torque and horses. Handling, weight transfers, braking, tyres, they all suffers from weight. That's why Porsche still makes the sharper handling tool and BMW seems to be the cruiser.
Think about it, Boxster, MR2, Miata (up until the new version MX5, choose the softtop option), Lotus, and alike, they are fun and good handling cars as they haven't gained fat. :-)
The E89 *could be* more fun and better handling than the boxter/MR2/Miata for three main reasons that people tend to forget:

1) It is more comfortable (especially if you replace the oem tires with non-RFTs). Outside the track and while traveling less than 160km/h this is what defines fun and good handling to me. The vast majority of the time I feel happier when I am not uncomfortable (yes, I am looking at you, M sports suspension).
2) It is easier to get sideways (because the (easily tuned) N54 offers more torque from low rpm)
3) It is more fun while you are sideways (because you sit closer to the rear wheels and feel the slide much more directly/violently - like sitting in the back of a bus in a turn, as opposed to sitting in the middle)

Is it a sharper handling tool? No. But you can get a 1 series M coupe for less if that is what you really want. Even an imaginary lighter soft-top Z4 can't compete with that. But then you can also wave goodbye to cruising in comfort...

And why would you want a convertible roadster which isn't comfortable enough for cruising anyway? That being said, I am surprised someone has yet to modify a E89 by removing the roof and hydraulic systems completely.

BTW the Z4 doesn't actually offer 50:50 weight distribution... in fact, is probably the most rear-heavy small BMW that you can buy today. I believe the 28i is 47-53% for instance.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 08-08-2014 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0