View Single Post
      09-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
cloud7Cal
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89

BMW Wheel Tire warranty denied (/w 296 wheels)

Hi All,
Not surprisingly, as other z4 owners with 296 wheels, I recently had two rear wheels cracked. If this is the end of the story, I wouldn't start a new thread.
Before pulling my trigger last year, I studied a lot on new Z4 through this forum, and I was aware of the problems with 296 wheels, and knew that most of the owners bought their road hazard protection which BMW sells; I mean 'safe guard' product under BMW name on it. Like most of the owners here, I also bought 3 year protection for a peace of my mind living in LA with bad road conditions.
Recently I had the warning light(low pressure) on and brought in my car for service. I was told by my SA the same day that my two wheels are cracked, and one of the two tire has been cracked from inside. After checking it with the inspector, my SA told me that two wheels are going to be covered but not the tire. What safe guard are saying is that this damage is not due to the road hazard, but rather careless driving. My SA also told me that I can't drive with my wheel cracked, and once the wheel gets cracked, tire loses its pressure causing tire damage. Sounds to me that it is all my fault not checking my wheels often. But, I brought my car in as soon as I saw the lights on, and I can't believe they are trying to blame me.

I've been searching in this forum, and found out that one owner had exactly the same problem as me, and that owner also had to pay for the new tire. It seems to me that the tire warranty only holds when there is no damage to the wheels. Is there any owner who've had their wheels and tires replace at the same time under tire & wheel warranty?

Attached file is the damage of the wheel (you can see the crack in red circle)
and the damage on tire. (around the corner where inner side wall and bottom meets)
Attached Images

Last edited by cloud7Cal; 09-09-2012 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0