05-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #133
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
Agreed. And add to your list:

- Z4sDrive35is... seriously?! And it's emblazoned across the side of the car. Reminds me of that dumb move Mercedes made by plastering the word 'Kompressor' across the side of their super-charged cars back in the late 90's, early 2000s.

- So what do you call the damned thing? Imagine someone asking you what you drive. You ponied up a lot more money for your car, so naturally you'll want them to to know you have a more souped-up version of the Z4. You can't say Z4 ///M (because it's not even close). Therefore, you don't simply say Z4. You have to say "Z4sDrive35is" Try the same with a 3-series (or virtually any other BMW model) and the exchange is so much easier. I drive a 335i or I drive an M3. People know instantly what you've got. Period.
You are right, but i'd go even further than that.

After all the money i spent on my ///M it is STILL just a Z4 to a lot of people - especially to women - surely a significant part of the "be nice if they were impressed" target audience . However, you are lucky if they know what a Z4 is, let alone the ///M moniker! "It's the M version, you know" - <blank look>

Which really suggests with respect to "street cred" alone, you are best to go with a 23i, its every bit a Z4 and any more spend is superfluous!

Would they _even_ notice the difference when sitting in the passenger seat beside you? - in fact the more powerful versions might even be more likely to make them feel sick!

... oh and you'd be being kinder on the environment and your wallet at the same time!

... but then there are your mates and work colleagues to consider ... and the guy next to you at the lights ... blast the BMW marketing department!!

... but yes, ABSOLUTELY, most people will never recognise nor care about whether your Zed includes an "s" at the end or not!

( DISCLAIMER: mostly in jest - wild generalisations about women, their fragility with respect to spirited driving and levels of car knowledge are purely for comedy value )

Last edited by Merefield; 05-01-2010 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0