View Single Post
      05-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #26
williakz
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
I agree with Hoa, the rear section of the exhaust is definitely different between models,.
Do you happen to know what, if any, functional difference the modified exhaust makes to the vehicle's operating characteristics?

Quote:
In regards to not caring about r&d and asking for a less powerful tune than stage 1 is kind of silly, IMO. Just go with the stage 1and call it a day. To ask a manufacture to add a inferior product for a cheaper price and then tell them you don't care about their time and effort is pretty rude.
You are mischaracterizing my remarks. As a consumer, I care nothing about the R&D expenses incurred BY ANY COMPANY. I care only about the product's efficacy, utility, and its costs (initial, operating, and maintenance).

Quote:
I am in the manufacturing business and I'll tell you a product line consists of different levels aimed at price point and consumer needs, wants, and values.
A clear and sensible proposition based on experience. Congratulations, apparently everything you say is NOT either irrelevant, a distortion, or asserted without evidence. Keep it up. As to your proposition, I am merely suggesting that ESS widen its product line to attract more customers, many of whom would NEVER purchase ANYTHING from the company until and unless first buying the "baby boost" I described.

Quote:
You say that there is a consumer that wants a "poor man's IS" , but most of that pool that would modify their vehicle, yet do not want to pay for an is would go with any option like Cobb, jb4, or ess.
I am proof there is at least one such consumer. I offered to purchase the first ESS "sHADOW" tune should the company decide to offer it.

Quote:
Why add a stage( that requires r&d) that is inferior to already an existing tune for the sake of satisfying a price point category ? You in your own word said copy the 35is tune for those who can't afford the car.
Oh, dear. We're back to mischaracterizations, strawmen, and pejoratives. And you were coming along so well! C'est dommage.

To cases: the R&D involved in the "baby boost" should be trivial as it has ALREADY BEEN DONE BY BMW (Siemens, actually)! It can be found in the ECU of the 35is. Duh! Furthermore, the question of the "baby boost" being "inferior" depends on whether it serves the business interests of ESS and meets the needs of potential customers, no? If the "sHADOW" tune attracts 35i customers who would not have considered an ESS Stage 1/2 purchase, then to the extent these NEW customers deliver profit, ESS gains. Furthermore, some number of these "baby boosters" will go on to upgrade to the full ESS Stage 1/2 tunes, something they would NEVER have considered otherwise. These upgraders will provide ESS additional revenue which can be used to fully offset the (minimal) cost of "sHADOW" development as well as cover the subsidy represented by its discounted price (relative to the full Stage 1/2 product).

Quote:
Everyone else is telling you that ess, jb4, and Cobb already have that covered with stage 1.

You say no, you want the over boost and can't handle the stage 1 power.

My friend if you feel you can't handle stage 1 then most of us doubt you would even notice the overboost. Because you wouldn't push the car to get to that point.
You may have divined from my prior posts that I'm not the type to be overly concerned with what "everyone else tells me." Maybe not.

Again, I did NOT say I could not handle Stage 1. I said I would rather pay a modest amount to transform my 35i into a 35is (as inferior and undesirable as you apparently believe the IS to be) saving approx. $5,000 which is serious money to me, maybe not to others. I would then have ample opportunity to develop my driving skills in my 35i-sHADOW before entertaining the prospect of spending more money (ESS upgrade) and effort learning to control the vehicle under a Stage 1 tune. Whether or not I EVER push the car to its limits in either stock, "baby boost," or Stage 1/2 is no concern whatsoever of yours and is completely irrelevant to the discussion. I do not critique your driving skills and methods; you should extend me the same courtesy.

Quote:
Anyways good luck getting suppliers to help your tune when you only care about the price, and not their efforts.
I am presenting a BUSINESS proposition to ESS, not challenging their tuners' egos or abilities. You say you know business, yet you don't know a business proposition when you read one, and you evidence no application of analytical skills to the business case I present. Will it make ESS money or not? That is the central question. I have presented an argument that it will. Your objections notwithstanding, that argument still stands.
Appreciate 0