View Single Post
      07-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #22
[DT]
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50 / '21 Wrangler 4xe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

That is one of the big things that I liked about the Z4 after test driving -- it's a lot more comfortable in comparison. I commuted 70 miles a day for about 5 years in my S2Ks, and in retrospect, that was brutal. In fact, I was cruising home from work in my S one day when a E89 Z4 slipped by gracefully, and really caught my attention. I was hooked at that point, to the point where the money in my wallet started smoldering.

The test drive of the Z brought out a few things I didn't like (steering, shifter, feel of the run flat tires) but everything else about the car was a dream.

If you drive the S2K and Z4 back to back, be prepared for the Z4 to feel a bit ponderous at first. I used to think the S2K was like stepping into a good pair of running shoes, since you tend to "wear" the car and all the actions are so sharp that it's a very intimate driving experience. The Z4 is considerably more isolated, and is not a "strap it on" roadster the S2K is (few cars are). But the flip side of the coin means it's a lot more comfortable and livable, and the refined interior is roomier and a lot more pleasant.

By the way, I have the M sport seats in my Z4, and they are quite good -- a little roomier than the S2K's smallish seats for sure.

The only other big deal for me was the retractable hardtop of the Z4. I am loving that. It's perfect top up or down, and makes for an outstanding year-round car.
Yeah, the Z4 E89 is one of the few smaller-ish roadsters I think looks as good exterior-wise as the S, well, actually I think it takes some good aftermarket wheels and the small rear deck spoiler to really make the S shine.

The interior on the S is well pretty put together, but very minimal as you know, and there is some [price limited] so-so materials (the door panels, center console are some kind of "plinyl"). Seats are great, though when I first bought it, I had no idea they were theft targets! I guess they bolt into Civics and whatnot, plus they're like $3K each from Honda.

The OEM audio is _bad_, I pulled it, added a nice Alpine HU running active with a Sundown Amp, Hertz components, it's better, but missing low-mid, the amp needs to be mounted, etc., I'm just not into all the re-engineering to get decent sound, and I generally like the premium audio option from most OEMs.

Strange thing: I can't seem to select the Premium Audio option on the BMW (USA) website. You can select the Premium Package, but not toggle the upgraded audio[?] Is there some other dependency like you have to go with the navigation?

I'm actually OK with a more isolated experience, as long as it's still fun. If I wanted something that provided the best on-track experience plus a nice usable vehicle, I'd probably turn to a Boxster S, but there's something about that car that doesn't "do it" for me. Heck, I had a great time with my C5 Coupe, and that's a model that's known for next to no steering feedback, sloppy turn in, etc., because at the end of the day, it was still effective and fun on track and was a great DD (when I still DD'ed ... I did eventually make it too harsh by swapping out to T1 spec suspension components).

I really like the retractable HTs, like I said, I get the downsides, but for a really nice all around vehicle, I think they're outstanding. I'm a *huge* fan of the Z4 Coupe, and with the E89 you get a little Coupe with your Roadster
Appreciate 0