01-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #57
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
I'm comparing ess tune for 35i vs their tune for 35is. The point is the tunes are different even they have the same hardware. The 35is exhaust probably has a lot to do with that. The point is there is a difference between the I and is that is also reflected in their aftermarket tunes.
No it is the same tune on the same engine. You cannot run higher boost on the 35is because the turbos are the same. Yes, there are differences between older and newer versions of the N54, and there is the overboost thing on the IS which I think is the real element of confusion here. If the over-boost function does what I think it does, and you only floor it occasionally, you don't really need ESS with your 35is. In my understanding ESS is almost like having over-boost all the time, at all RPMs. But of course they also tune other variables than just the boost.

Btw the 35is exhaust is no different from the 35i. It sounds better because they changed the internals of the muffler, but the pipes, cats and so on are the same. That is why I claim the essential hardware is the same.

So again, I do not believe ESS or anyone else has provided any data that can be used to directly compare ESS for 35i vs ESS for 35is. It is also hard to make such comparison because it would be two different cars with different mileage, build date, drive train losses etc etc etc...
Appreciate 0