View Single Post
      08-10-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
Sachak
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4 35i sDrive DCT

Interesting results and a big thank you for sharing!

So I did a similar test back in 2017 on my Z4 35i with Stock airbox vs DCI on a hot summers day in South Africa. (if I recall, I was running MHD Stage 1+ on the 91oct 95ron map. So a very mild map, not allot of boost at all and it was with stock turbos)

I did real world tests, i.e back to back logs with airbox on vs DCI and the results were staggering. A dyno would show differently as it is a very controlled environment.

So the first thing I noticed is that the Waste gate duty cycle never improved with the DCI. This would point to the stock airbox not being a restriction, any restriction in the system would immediately show in the WGDC as the waste gates would have to stay closed for longer to produce the same boost as a "less restrictive" setup like the DCI.

The next thing I found was intake temps...Intake temps went through the roof with the DCI very quickly, as soon as I would come to a stop at a traffic light after doing a log, that engine compartment would start heat soaking so fast and after the 3rd log the car just felt sluggish and the intake temps were ridiculously high. I can't remember the exact figures but they were enough to make me throw those things in the bin afterwards.

Now you can add a bigger intercooler and Water methanol to mitigate the heat soak but the logs don't lie. if the wgdc isn't higher with the stock airbox compared to the DCI then all you are actually gaining is the intake sounds, definitely not power.

BUT and there is a but.

On your setup, running hybrid turbos with a 500bhp car, Then the Mr 5 mod would then more than likely be beneficial, as we can see on your Dyno results. I did do this mod at some point but on my setup at the time which was stock turbos etc it made no difference, not in real world logging and not on the dyno, so I took it off in favour of a cleaner looking engine bay.

On the N54 platform the stock airbox is not restrictive unless you start pushing much higher than stock power like you have done, however in no shape or form would I ever recommend the DCI setup unless you run plumbing through to the large cavity in the front bumper separating it from that engine as the N54 engine produces a monumental amount of heat.

That's just my 2c
Appreciate 0