View Single Post
      08-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

New update to an old thread....

Just got my 30i back from a week being tuned at Schmickler Performance (http://www.schmickler-performance.de) run by some friends from the Ring. Marcus does not do "out-of-the-box" tuning, each setup requires 2 full days of dyno time. Suffice it to say that BMW has done a pretty good job of tuning the Z4's N52 (even given the compromised intake manifold to fit under the hood), Marcus was able to pull an additional 17 HP out of the motor as well as and additional 13.5 lbs/ft. Not big numbers, but the gain is consistent from 2,000 up to the new 7,100 redline and can be felt. What is amazing is that with the new tune, the motor has gotten unbelievably smooth (better than a sewing machine), revs much much quicker and even more impressive is the mileage gain:

Hockenheim to Ahrweiler @ 85 MPH for 100 miles and a 40 mile stretch @ 140MPH yielded 25 MPG.
The return trip back the same way, similar traffic and weather, after tuning yielded 33 MPG for the 85 MPH section, dropping to 28 MPG for the 140 MPH section, briefly hit its new top end of 162 MPH (per my supplemental TomTom nav unit (with speed cameras)).

So bottom line is that there are no big numbers to be pulled from a non-turbo gas engine in this car, but there is still room for some gains in performance and substantial gains in mileage to be had. All this coupled with the new H&R sway bars, and Marcus' tune on the suspension has improved every aspect of the car, and even reduced the understeer and rear end behavior of rough surfaces to a level way passed "acceptable".

NOTE - these speeds were legal where I hit them.
Appreciate 0