11-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJS View Post
This is my first post, and I don't have a Z4 yet (planning to order in a couple of months). However, I did have a hip replacement a bit over a year ago, and I have been driving a Mini. First, hip replacement surgery has come a long way over the years. The hospital had me putting weight on that leg the same day as surgery. The only physical therapy the doctor prescribed was walking, and I have to tell you that by the end of the next week I was walking a mile and a half. The recovery was much easier than I expected. Although the doc didn't want me to drive for 6 weeks or so, I think that was primarily because I was still on pain meds. Three weeks after surgery I was driving. I had to be careful getting in and out of my Mini, but driving was no problem, and my car is a 6-speed (it was my left hip that was replaced). Granted, a Mini is not as low as the Z4, but I think if you're careful getting in and out, driving (after a few weeks) should not be a problem. Just don't take too much Vicodin! Make sure you keep active walking. Best of luck to you, Jayda.

- David
Thank you David, your post is encouraging. I will be up and walking the day of surgery I am told and only walking as PT as well! My hip has been going down hill for three years so I am feeling very ready to go through with it (except for not being able to drive my new car for awhile)!