10-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #28
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
Well, the Bosch guy I met (business related) knows this topic has been discussed internally between Bosch and BMW. He knew tests performed in Germany with qualified fuel were not showing any failures. Failures are, his opinion not mine, caused by (non-allowed) additives or fuel from the bottom of a tank with dirt. The guy is in sales of parts for several suppliers.

I do not know about the rules on tanks in US, but here in Holland there is a minimum level alarm in gas stations so you never can use the last xx % of a tank (segmentation (right word?)). That is regularly filtered/cleaned.
That's interesting. Maybe they are referring to small particulate matter in the US fuel that doesn't existing in Germany?

I believe our fueling stations have leak detection alarms but I don't believe they have alarms to prevent drawing from the bottom of the tank.

On the other hand, I've never really seen a dirty fuel tank. For years I subscribed to the notion that you need to make sure you use all the gas in your car's fuel tank to prevent a lot of dirt and other crud building up in there. I've replaced three or four in-tank fuel pumps and had occasion to open up a few more tanks to replace tank level sending units. One of those cars is one my classic muscle cars dating back to the early 1970's with the original tank. In each case, I've been pleasantly surprise to find absolutely no debris of any kind in the tanks.

Now days, based on good advice from a professional mechanic, I don't let my tank get below 1/4 full. This insures that my in-tank electric fuel pumps don't run dry when I make a turn or climb a hill during my travels.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-28-2010 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0