Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post
2011 35i:

So far, I have not had A/C cut-off on me but sort of the reverse, although just once so far.

Driving in 80F-90F+ heat w/ the lid down, I turn the fans "off" completely to keep the residual hot air off the engine from coming out into the cabin.

Last week, on a ~40 minute drive, I turned the HVAC/fan off...only to see a few minutes later they were back "on". Three times I turned the HVAC off, only to have it crank itself back on. May or may not be related to issues herein but thought I'd put it down in case.
I believe this is due to some kind of poor/dirty contact within one of the knobs adjusting the temperature. Just "clean" them a bit by turning both knobs from max to min a few times. Then make sure they both sit securely in a "clicked" position. That is, not in-between two "clicks". Then turn off the A/C completely as you normally would. Now it should stay off.

The reason the A/C turns on is because it thinks someone adjusted one of the temperature knobs. It is programmed to turn on when someone turns a knob. The problem is you did not touch them - so what confuses the electronics? Well, it is probably a combination of vibrations and dirt underneath the knobs. It is a new design for the Z4, so the quality is probably thereafter...

I used to have the exact same problem as you until I turned the knobs a bit back and forth. Now the problem is gone.
Appreciate 0