09-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #49
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeee View Post
Devils advocate: Although a great number of forum members love modding their vehicles I have always thought to myself that it is not a good idea to mod anything until after the warranty expires. Bearing this in mind I do have Dinan in my new car, specifically because it has warranty and was installed and sold to me by BMW. I dismissed all other power mods because of this advantage, otherwise I would have waited until the end date to do anything.
The cars are designed by the "company" and the "company" warranties that specific design.....
EG:If I take an electrical junction box that has been inspected and certified for use in a Hazardous location such as a hydrocarbon gas rich environment and drill and tap an access hole in that same box, I now have an uncertified box. I can either get the box recertified or I can accept the LIABILITY for any failures, damage or asset losses that may occur in or around that box. I'm sorry to say it but that's just the way it is.

I wish you the best of luck with this issue .
I agree with your general thoughts on this issue. Please keep in mind that the fact that BMW will install DINAN power upgrades supports my argument 100%. For example, if I had paid $2,000 plus for a Dinan tune and upcoming intercooler - yes, an FMIC is coming from Dinan (we would have installed Dinan but Dinan had no products for our e89 when we started working on it in February 2010) and the HPFP had failed, the BMW dealer that installed Dinan would have replaced the HPFP with no problems because they know what the world knows, the HPFP is defective in most of our cars. The mods having nothing to do wth it - that is actually in harmony with the law on these issues.

I do not think you are you telling me that if you were BMW that you would not warrant the HPFP when the mods having absolutely ZERO to do with the modifications???

Please keep in mind that when discussing this in person with the dealer today, they told me that "way over 50% of all N54 motors have the HPFP fail" and "the real question for almost all N54 powered cars is when will it fail, not if." Yikes Batman, I think a recall should be mandatory and that I could hang jet engines off the car and it is not related to the DEFECTIVE HPFP.

Sorry for rambling. I think your situation and mine highlight the real issue that has already been identified by some smart people on this thread. BMWNA appears to be looking for absolutely any reason to dump your warranty in these tight economic times. For you they may not because you paid the DEALER $$$ for Dinan. For me they may cancel the warranty because I paid someone else besides the dealer. You have a tune and and FMIC from Dinan (the FMIC was added for arguments sake), I have the same items, but you have a warranty even though your Dinan parts pump out the same power or more.

Again, sorry for rambling. Dinan may warranty your tune ONLY and something it might break, but I know it doesn't warrant the rest of your car. BMWNA can still cancel your warranty too - even your dealer can't control that my friend. What a screw job.

Porsche, Porsche, Porsche - went by the dealer today. The e89 MSRP was about $68k. I know it is a bit of a leap but for $100k maybe the attitude of the company is a little better.
Appreciate 0