11-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
There is a grease Honda sells called "Shin Etsu Grease", which is a white silicone grease (very much like a dielectric grease). It's recommended for window/door gaskets. On my S2000 hardtop, I apply a thin smear of Shin Etsu along the lower gasket of the hardtop each winter before putting it on, and it effectively silences any noise between the top and the car that might occur as the rubber hardens up in the cold and rubs/chafes. I imagine a similar strategy would work well on the Z4. With the top partially up, it should be easy to see/access the gaskets that press down on the rear deck when the top is down. A light rub of Shin Etsu (similar to applying chapstick to your lips) will do the trick.

BTW, while I have heard that silicone spray is not recommended for automotive gaskets and seals, the grease is. Not sure what the difference is. I can say that this silicone grease is a lot cleaner and nicer to work with than typical petroleum-based grease, and doesn't smell like grease. Wherever you see a translucent white grease used on a car, it's likely this stuff. In addition to being used for lubrication in precision mechanisms, it's great for all kinds of applications, including electrical and wiring work where you want to protect raw conductors or connectors from moisture and corrosion.

You can find Shin Etsu many places online. A tube is $10-15.
That's interesting info.

A while back I was doing some research on this subject and ran into a websales/club forum (believe it was bavarian autosport) and one of the posts discussed a dialectic grease (note photo below) for use in this application, and I got pretty excited about it because you can get it virtually anywhere, unlike Gummi Pflege. However, as I read a few more posts in the same thread there were a number of folks that indicated it wasn't such a great thing after all.

I've heard this debate rage for a few years concerning silicone based products. It seems that a person would have to take a good look at the chemical compounds found in weather seals to figure out how they react with silicone, but frankly I'm no chemist so I'd be out of my element. On the other hand I'd feel quite comfortable recommending virtually any product Honda feels good about because those folks totally OCD.

Does it absorb into the material or does it form a barrier on top of the material?

Attached Images

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 11-26-2010 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0