12-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Not sure the recent record supports a BMW pursuit of 'lightness.' The M3 is - let's face it - porky. I think instead that BMW is pushing a whole-car concept that has so much technology and integrated engineering that weight becomes a secondary consideration - still important, but overcome (and overcome-able) by all else in the package, as with the M3.

I'm driving a 335i E93 and it's heavier than I would want. But is hard to find that weight in real driving, especially when the Dinan firmware kicks in.

The potential of Dinan firmware in the E89 holds promise of making an M version irrelevant, a marketing exercise putting forward a distinction without a difference. TBD.
You are absolutly correct that the M3 is a PIG. BMW was basicly saying yea well its heavier but its got a bigger engine too so you won't notice it. Yea we did notice it This car was developed and released before the recent fuel crisis however. Ever since the 'crisis' BMW has made a big emphasis on 'Efficient Dynamics' and making everything they can more fuel efficient. That includes using turbos and smaller engines in the M lineup from now on (no more v10 M5 for example), but another thing will be lighter materials. The head of BMW M has said this on multiple occasions so I think that the next cars in the pipeline will go with this route. Use of materials seen on the M3 CSL (carbon fibre analogue bumpers, cardboard parts, etc..) small turbo engines and overall weight reduction basicly. We can thank 3$+ gasoline for BMW M waking up!

In my mind (based on BMW M statements) a BMW M as compared to a 335i would include larger engine/turbos with lighter chasis to give you more power with better handling with turbo power so that a chipped 335i would still be behind a chipped M car.
Appreciate 0