View Single Post
      03-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Tuning COBB VS ESS

No, this isn't a thread about who's better or who produces more HP or more TQ. Thank god! This is a thread just to give my impressions on the two tunes since I recently changed from a ESS stage 2 tune to give COBB stage 2+ tune a chance.

Having the ESS tune was awesome coming from stock. Very easy to figure out and easy to install. There was more stuff to bring along though to every swap (my laptop). But I have nothing but praises for ESS.

The Cobb software was at first kind of confusing until I realized I didn't have to install the maps as it came with the maps preinstalled. The instruction manual is lacking but their video step by step was good. It was a much faster tune and reflash than ESS and less equipment to lug around to swap tunes (just need the accessport).

My first impressions is that as soon as I swapped the ESS for the COBB was that the power was more smooth. The engine felt smoother and for some reason the car even sounded a little louder. At first I thought the car had lost power with such a smooth tune but then realized I would get to my top speed just as quick. So now the verdict is out. ESS felt good but was less "linear" if that made sense.

Having the flexibility to swap tunes quickly, I have to give one up for the COBB. Now I can also finally dyno both tunes and see which really does give more power.
Appreciate 0