View Single Post
      09-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
dregan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive28i

Thanks for the feedback, to answer a couple of the question from above;

Steering wheel paddles - this is the 8 speed auto and the centre console shifter is now the same as the 6 speed DCT. My car is post week 36 2012MY.

The dealer gave me a copy of the July 1st BMW briefing for the E89 2012MY, it says that option 2XA (Sport Leather steering wheel with paddles) and option 7XA (M leather steering wheel with paddles) both come with uni-directional paddles (left - right +) from week 36 2011 production.

The sound - I traded my 335i M-Sport for the Z4, so I know the inline 6, twin turbo very well. On the 28i, the engine note is throaty on start up, quiet when cruising in comfort mode at low revs, upshifts can be at very low RPM for improved economy should you so wish.

Put it in sport mode and it gets loud, starts off deep, then rasping as the revs rise, it does not sound like a 4 cylinder at all to me (I had a Honda S2000 before the 335i), it sounds more like a small V8 if that's possible (clever hardware/software engineering from BMW perhaps ?), small whoosh of turbo intake when it shifts up, entertaining automatic throttle blip when you down shift and nice burbling and popping when you lift off.

Adaptive suspension is a great addition as well, really changes the ride when you shift from comfort to sport or sport +.

The Internet option is not working yet, it takes a couple of days to activate so I can't tell if that was a good decision or not. My only grumble is that you still cannot close the lid with the remote from outside of the car - not sure what the rationale is behind that from BMW. Anyone ?
Appreciate 0