View Single Post
      01-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzo View Post
The wear issue was not covered by warranty because it was deemed to be negligence by the underwriter. It seems the alignment was BADLY out. I purchased the vehicle as a Certified Series pre-owned from the dealer, so there were "discussions" about who was going to be responsible for this. In the end, I was out of pocket for four new tires, but the dealer performed the mount, balance and installation at their cost. I also resolved to do a wheel alignment once a year, regardless of how much the vehicle was driven - AFTER being told by my service rep that all BMWs are laughably easy to throw out of alignment.
From one of our older threads, here is the factory tolerance for our E89 rear suspension

Camber: -1.9 to -2.8 deg
Toe: .05 deg to .25 deg.

Some on our forum argue that this is "too much" negative camber because it will cause the wear pattern you described even if the car is aligned within the factory tolerance.

I was teasing that you didn't corner your car hard enough to even out the tire wear

Also, if the "misalignment" was zero or slightly negative toe in the rear, that was likely a previous owner trying to dial in a little more instability to help the car rotate faster, at the expense of a bit more tire wear when going in a straight line.
Appreciate 0