View Single Post
      07-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I am in for 5 out 6. Good discussion Thread for individuality

Evereything listed "For Me" except #6 is about having a clear and clean looks, in my opinion.

1. Clear Bra- I have used a clear bra on my last 2 "personal show cars", including my 09, 35i, for many reasons:
a. My Z is not my daily driver and I am very PROTECTIVE and particular with the car its over all condition. Paint chips, nicks, dings are not for me. My clear bra I had on my last Acura Type S was on for 5 years, on a silver finsih and no one could see it unless specifically looked for. Same as on the my Z. I bought it with it installed and after 28K miles there is 1 rock chips that went thru the 3M, but literally 0 nicks, dings etc. As well, nothing builds up on the seams unless you let.
b. Bugs, tar, road debris- I keep the car super clean and waxed al all times. The clear bra is waxed as well and all road debris just wipes off vs glusing on to the paint.
c. RESALE- the car will always have a better resale value as it will be in close to OEM comdition and will be in better condiition than a car with a front full load of road rash. The thought of you saving the car for the next person is true and pays me in the long run in the form of a chip free paint front end and higher resale payday in my pocket.

2. No Front Plate-
a/ Purely UGLY for my taste so I removed it. Nothing more, nothing less.
b. It ruins the front end, in my opioion. If MA had cool Euor plates it would be on it. I can't same the same for Massachusetts state plate.
c. Illegal in MA but in 7 years on my last 2 cars I have never been pulled over. For my annual inspection, I zip tie the plate to the front grill and then remove it when I leave the shop. I do always carry the plate in the trunk and IF I were to get pulled over, I keep the zip ties ready on it to reinstall at any time.

3. Reflectors- My 1st mod was to remove them and smoke them with a 20% smoked film. Always reversible for resale and next owner, should this car get pryed from my cold, dead hands.
a. The orange front reflectors on the F Quarter panels, the red rear reflectors, and the 3rd tail light red lens, for me, are a big distraction and add to many mixed colors to the car. 1. Body color, 2. S drive badge colors right next to it, 3. BMW roundel Blue color (gone on mine-chnged to black) 4. next to the chrome roundel. Make up your mind BMW.

4. Tints- Mass State law allows 35% all around.I went with 20% all around.
a. Purely an asthetic reason for me. I love the look, as mentioned, of the contrasting black windows to the Space Grey body.
b. I have no issues seeing at night.
c. At inspection time the top and windows are down. Not illegal.
d. On my last 2 cars as mentioned above in 7 years the tint has never bubbled not degraded in any way. I buy the best and have it professionally installed.

5. De-Badging-
a. For me I dont need anyone to know what the car is. Just yesterday, I was asked "what is this. I have never seen one",
b. Too many badges and makes the side and rear look too busy and distracts from the beaty of the lines.
c. I removed the 35i sdrive side badges and the rear Z4 badge. I can always re install them for resale with my 2 sided tape.

6. Wheels- I have 18's I love the size. I would consider 19 at most but would prefer a drop to 20 inch wheels. Larger does not mean better in my opinion PLUS extra weight and cost.
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0