12-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #21
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodeep View Post
I don't believe for a minute that the 6MT couldn't handle the same power/torque with headroom to spare. BMW must have their reasons but they came from the Marketing department not Engineering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
Yes, it did come from marketing and not engineering . . . does that confirm that the DCT can't handle too much extra torque??? I guess so . . . I am a little confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalPower View Post
BMW also put automatic transmission in the 335d for the same reason.

I think it has to do with the CDV burning out a clutch too fast on an manual car. All you'd need is a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate IF you needed it on a car w/o the CDVPOS.
Since I am the one that knows the real reason- First, the clutch and the springs used that can not handle the torque at those load levels. The 6MT would be able to handle the torque WITHOUT the overboost function but not be in BMWs range they prefer, since engines can actually produce more HP from the factory than quoted but not less. This is also the reason with the Performance Kit. When you talk to engineers and those that have a say in the design of these products you realize it is not marketing that plays a part into these decisions, unless you consider warranty and reliability marketing. Look up the numbers for the 6MT from ZF and you will see BMW in not BS-ing

The DCT can handle more than the 6MT (period). The DCT can NOT handle the 500 ft/lbs that the V8 in the X5/X6 ///M put out (even in tweaked form).
I can't go into more details now but can say that BMW did a great job with this version of the Z4.... and when I can say more I will.

-M