12-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #110
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
Agreed. And add to your list:

- Z4sDrive35is... seriously?! And it's emblazoned across the side of the car. Reminds me of that dumb move Mercedes made by plastering the word 'Kompressor' across the side of their super-charged cars back in the late 90's, early 2000s.

- So what do you call the damned thing? Imagine someone asking you what you drive. You ponied up a lot more money for your car, so naturally you'll want them to to know you have a more souped-up version of the Z4. You can't say Z4 ///M (because it's not even close). Therefore, you don't simply say Z4. You have to say "Z4sDrive35is" Try the same with a 3-series (or virtually any other BMW model) and the exchange is so much easier. I drive a 335i or I drive an M3. People know instantly what you've got. Period. The name is stupid.Bingo!
While I wholeheartedly agree that the naming convention is dumb. It follows that of the 3 series, X5 series, etc. Afterall, they only added a single letter to what the car was already referred with this new ///M sport pack... that being the 's' on the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
- Why dilute the power of the ///M brand by attaching it to a car that's "not quite an ///M"?! Should have sucked it up and done it right -- bringing not this badge-engineered ///M car to market, but a true ///M roadster.
This is something BMW has been offering for aero/sport package equipped non-///M cars for decades. Just not in this country for some time now until recently.
Appreciate 0