03-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #20
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaron30i View Post
That's cool. But because of the minimal space the car has a lot of people want to keep the factory look and what little trunk space the car does have. Another thing is sound is very subjective. Each person hears differently and if your system works for you that's great. Yet for me I am a professional sound engineer/designer. My ears have been trained for the last 20 years to hear what others don't. So for me a lot of the time a good sound system is important to me because I hear the smallest imperfections. That's all. Actually it's kinda a curse because a lot of the time I can't enjoy going to a concert or show without dissecting the music and sound system. I always want to improve it. So maybe it's the same with the Z4 with keeping the same factory look and feel.
That's why I proposed the best way to do it was to swap the 8's in the rear. You can use drop ins and amplify them. Keep the stock look and feel. I have a 500 watt amp installed where the OP is trying to get access to...right next to the stock amplifier. Out of sight completely. I didn't do it this way because I want to be able to easily remove the sub when my lease is up. The way the amp is mounted it will come out very easily.

I fully agree sound is subjective. I know you've been trained to hear things that no one hears. I was born that way, I shit you not. I know the curse. I actually don't like going to concerts for the exact same reasons. I'm never happy with the sound in any venue. I find fault with the stock speakers as well but, in my case, the curse can be overridden by cost in some cases. I envy you for your training. I would love to know half of what you probably do about the technicals. At the end of the day, it's "good enough" that I don't feel it necessary to tear it apart, modify the housings to accommodate better components, re-run wiring, and adding yet another amp. Especially not in a convertible and especially not in a leased car. From my POV, there's just not enough audible distortion at the volumes I listen to it at.

And screw you very much, now I'm thinking about swapping the rear 8's and selling my 10, you jerk.
Appreciate 0