View Single Post
      03-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #19
dblaron30i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphire black Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I think the factory Premium sound system's components are just fine. I really see no need to replace them and spend insane amounts of money re-doing the whole system. My biggest problem with it is that, unless you use surround mode (which I don't because it sounds like shit), you really only use 6 of the speakers available (the front 3 ways). Simply swapping out the rear subs for better 8's (or retrofit 10's if you want to), and amplifying them separately or doing what I did and throwing a 10" in the trunk instead of replacing the stock woofers gets you a more than adequate sound system for top up and down audio. I've blasted it for 3 hours, top down, from Houston to SA playing a wide variety of music and never noticed distortion.
That's cool. But because of the minimal space the car has a lot of people want to keep the factory look and what little trunk space the car does have. Another thing is sound is very subjective. Each person hears differently and if your system works for you that's great. Yet for me I am a professional sound engineer/designer. My ears have been trained for the last 20 years to hear what others don't. So for me a lot of the time a good sound system is important to me because I hear the smallest imperfections. That's all. Actually it's kinda a curse because a lot of the time I can't enjoy going to a concert or show without dissecting the music and sound system. I always want to improve it. So maybe it's the same with the Z4 with keeping the same factory look and feel.
Appreciate 0