View Single Post
      03-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
bmw>benz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaron30i View Post
Ok I'm going to list off first that I have been a sound engineer system designer for over 20years in the entertainment industry. I think the question you are really asking comes down to processing. If you have the the idrive system the rear subs work differently due to it being in a special surround mode that BMW uses. If you have just the the system with the subs and no idrive it works differently. It isn't really a surround mode and the rear subs have more output believe it or not. But yes. If you put in the SWS subs you will get more output. Yet more on the non idrive system. The reason for this is lower impedance and higher quality parts. It's kinda like this. You all baught your BMW's because of the performance and quality. But you weren't going to buy a Chrysler Sebring even though they are both convertible with roughly the same size motor. So I'm just going to use that. I'm not going to go into the technical as to why it always is better to upgrade your speakers from OEM. As for taking out the subs. I would think that the cover is succured to with clips. If it wasn't it would make a lot of noise. Try one of those plastic prying tools they make for trim.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of different processing between iDrive/non-iDrive!
Appreciate 0