05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandS View Post
I remember when first working with the USB connections I was getting some pretty flakey results using lossless files (.WAV, etc) on the thumb drive, especially after more than about 25 songs were present. Once everything loaded to the flash drive was in an MP3 format all those problems disappeared and everything worked great.

Here are the steps to access the drive in the center console (assuming it's plugged in):
  • Main Menu - select "CD/Multimedia"
  • Next select "External devices"
  • Finally select "UDISK" and the music should begin playing and you can see what's on the drive to make selections.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Ed
It's a shame it only wants to work with MP3's, a low quality format, but the transfer rate of USB ports probably couldn't keep up with the data rate of higher quality lossless formats, anyways. I think some lossless formats are as high as 900 kb/sec whereas USB is only capable of 480 kb/sec. USB 3 would solve that problem, but not the standard yet. At least one would hope one could transfer lossless files to the built-in HDD where the data rate would be much higher. But, I understand that takes a long time as well. It would be interesting to find out if BMW is using USB 1 or 2.

FWIW
Appreciate 0