View Single Post
      04-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #108
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
...it seems that more people actually want a four cylinder engine rather than a naturally aspirated I6.
How did you deduce that? Do you really think American BMW buyers are clamouring for a 4 cylinder in place of the N52? I don't.

The only way to know for sure is to sell both engine options side by side for at or near the same price and see what happens.

I know that the take rate for Audi's V6 in the A4/A5 was low enough that they dropped it their US lineup from, but that engine was heavy, inefficient, and not particularly powerful or smooth. And remember, price wise, Audi's V6 models tried to compete with N54-equipped BMWs and they weren't even a close comparison.

I definitely wouldn't attribute Audi's sales gains to their 4 cylinder engine alone. The A4 and A5 have come a long way and they have a newer body style compared to the current 3 Series which is growing a bit long in tooth. Also, I think Audi attracts more people to their brand that care a bit less how the car drives, so the 4 pot is fine for them.
Appreciate 0