View Single Post
      04-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #22
meago99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 21012 BMW Z4

Z4 3.5i Hardtop Failure...again

I have a 2012 Z4 3.5i sDrive and in the 30 months of ownership I have had 16 months with no issues. The dealership has replaced hydraulics, master switches, micro switches and micro sensors. A micro sensor appeared to resolve the problem, at least for 14 months, but on 4.3.15 the roof quit working again. I've reached out to BMW of North America and they are researching the issue...just curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue. My experience with the failure is as follows: initiate the process to put the roof into the trunk (either by the console button or by the key fob), the back glass section raises up and quits about 2/3rds of the way up and slowly descends down onto the roof section. The green light on the console that indicates the operation is executing changes to a red flashing light and the chiming starts (indicating a failure). If I turn car off and wait a few seconds I can hear the system "reset" at which time I can manually push the back glass back into position and once I start the car, the back glass section locks down and I can drive the car again, but not with the roof down. The first time this happened, it took my local dealership and BMW technicians 6 mos to figure out, now 14 mos later the problem has resurfaced. If anyone has any insight into this issue, please let me know as I would be most interested in a permanent solution.
Appreciate 0