05-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #62
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward.Boost View Post
. . .Evolution racewerk offered me a kit (Downpipe + tunebox) which claim to obtain 280hp. Don't know if it possible.
No doubt it's possible to obtain another 100 +/- hp from 2L, but I would be hesitant to do it. Turbo charging an engine already places high demands on the engine pistons and rotating assembly due to high cylinder pressures. Sustained over boost to gain an additional 100 hp is not healthy for long engine life.

And unlike the n54, I really don't believe BMW left 100 hp on the table for easy pickings. Think about it: Dinan's n54 stage III tune adds 98 more horsepower and 129 more lb-ft, or about 33 percent hp increase. That increase is spread across 3L and 6 cylinders. Dinan is willing to warranty the engine, but he adds a larger oil cooler and tweaks other engine operations like the water pump.

Increasing the 2.0L from 180 hp to 280 hp is a 55 percent increase. If it was for racing purposes and all that concerned you was the next 5 to 10 races, then by all means squeeze out every last hp. But for a daily driver, if they really can produces those numbers, for longevity sake and no warranty, I would avoid it.

FWIW

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 05-10-2013 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0