06-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #58
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
As much as I liked manuals, the DCT is no slushamatic. It is a dual clutch computer controlled sequential manual transmission. The auto mode is as smooth as an automatic and great for around town. Yet put it in manual mode and Sport or Sport+ and shifts are lightning fast and crisp, without the head snap of the SMG. You can use the gear shift like a manual (just pretend to always go 3-4 and 4-3) or the paddles. I like the push pull arrangement. One can best appreciate the DCT paddles on a twisty road such as the Tail of the Dragon. 318 curves in 11 miles. There's hardly a straight the entire distance. Drop to 2nd for a turn, shuffle steer, power thru while unwinding the wheel, pull a paddle for up to 3rd and 1 second later, on the brakes and back to 2nd for the next curve. Never once taking your hands away from the wheel to shift. A good many stretches are 2nd gear only (30-50 mph max) and one or 2 are 3rd gear only, otherwise you're likely shifting 100 times in 15 minutes, sometime not in gear more than 1-2 seconds. I know I'm faster thru there with the DCT than I would be with a manual.
you said everything I wanted to but better
Appreciate 0