07-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raweden View Post
The technician also says he has heard this exact type of sound on bike forks and believes it's the air moving quickly in/out. . .

In other words its a characteristic of the adaptive suspension.

To hear the bird like squeaks
As others have aptly stated he's wrong, and I hope he's just stupid and not lying. I can add that based on 1st hand experience of hearing automotive shocks compress/decompress at a very close distance that is not the sound they make. It is a dull swish-hissing sound. More like a outdoor water hose valve opening - with the hose on the valve so all you hear is a quite hiss as the water fills the hose. Additionally, it is not an intense sound nor is it high pitched like a bird chirp or squeak. You have to be very close to hear the sound - something not possible from inside your car, especially while driving and the motor running.

The basic operation of a "DCT Damper" is really quite similar to a normal damper. The DCT mechanizm is a electro-mechanically controlled orifice that fluid goes through. As others have stated, it move less in Sport/Sport+ mode by restricting the amount damping fluid flowing through it.

My 1st choice would be torsion bar bushings, but you ruled that out. I then would look at the spring seats, and a 3rd high probability is the aluminum substructure frame that supports the suspension. Rubber, or more likely, synthetic material, bushings or damping materials can be responsible for that type of sound. A loose bolt may do it as well.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-09-2010 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 0