View Single Post
      12-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Following this, as I have similar noise issues.

A couple of thoughts.....this car gets bad press (not by you guys) for poor quality plastic trim.

I think the motoring press read 'tough' plastic as 'poor' quality.
However, it has to be durable due to exposure issues. Lay this against cold temperature effects on plastic and bingo.....buzzes and rattles.

I had a 'thrumming' sound from behind the dash for first two years. More or less gone now. I initially thought of getting dealer to 'chase' the cause by working on the dash, but thought better of letting muppets loose on the area.

This winter more rattles just like yours ManiacGT, around the rear window frame area.

You could try something like this:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-SuperE...6899771&sr=8-4

Basically it's a battery powered, variable strength microphone in a box to which a pair of earphones is attached. It's not a high quality device, but certainly up to the task of tracking down rattles and creaks in the car. I had an older model and it certainly helps track these gremlins down.

Helped me find several nasty chirping sounds on previous cars caused by gas struts on the hood/bonnet and boot/trunk lid. Lubricating these stopped all the squeaks.

Come the spring I plan to lubricate all the rubber trim with Mothers Back-to-Black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0