View Single Post
      02-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
LofgrenCL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, E89, E46

This is easy..

Sorry once again I do not have pictures (I know - no pics - it didn't happen.)

But really this is a simple DIY: (Took me 30 minutes in my garage.)

Open the hood. On either side above the lights are steel plates that guide hood pins into the top of the quarter panels. These are attached by two Torx screws. Remove this plate and you will be able to look into the cavity behind the side maker. (You will need a flashlight) The Plastic side marker housing is held in place by plastic tabs (at the front) and a plastic "L" shaped ledge at the rear. Confirm this by looking into the quater panel.
This distance to the side marker from the opening is about 16 - 18 inches. I used a LONG wood bit for a screw driver. While pulling on the edge of the (front) of the side marker, push on the tab from inside the quarter panel. With gentle massaging and some luck the front will pop out without breaking the tab. The rear will slide forward and the entire assembly will be hanging from the wiring to the light in the marker. (Do not use any tool to pry or you will break the plastic or scratch your paint.

Remove the wiring from the marker and attach it to the new side marker assembly.

Install is opposite of removal. Rear "ledge" in first - then pop front portion and tab back into the quarter panel. Dont forget to reinstall the guide plate in EXACTLY the same position on the top of the quarter panel. (Confirm placement by lowering hood to closed position BEFORE tightening Torx screws.)

I replaced the white markers with tinted versions (from IND) on my wifes car.

IND has tinted side markers both Dark and Medium tint. I got the Medium for her Crimson Red, 35i. They look nice and are very good quality.

http://parts.ind-distribution.com/pr...o=368:thumsup:

Good luck.. Again sorry no pics but I am in Texas and my (wifes) Z4 is in Germany.
Appreciate 0