View Single Post
      04-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmit View Post
Note: Costco will NOT install non-run flats on a car that ships standard with run flats unless you also have a tire repair kit and air pump in the car. I paid ~$900 at Costco for a full set of Michelin PSS tires for my Z4 to replace the run flats. They had to special order them and when they arrived and I went in to have them installed, only then did they inform me that they would NOT install non-run flat tires on the Z4 unless I had a tire pump and repair kit and could show it to them. I begged and yelled and talked to the manager and there was no way they would do it, it's company policy. They ended up refunding me the money for the tires and I went to Pep Boys instead, who had no issues installing the tires for me. The Costco I went to is the one in Glendale on Los Feliz Blvd. Don't buy your tires at Costco unless you install them somewhere else! The Pep Boys I went to is also in Glendale on San Fernando Rd and they did a good job, although the guy didn't use the right air pressure and luckily the TPS system caught it. The installation is not that big a deal for an experienced shop but they do need to have the special equipment for removing and installing run flats, they are much more difficult than regular tires to get on/off your rims.

Note: PSS tires ride much better than the stock Bridgestone run-flats and look great too. Steering response doesn't seem as crisp but the handling is still good and the ride difference is night and day.
If it's company policy, it's not universally enforced. Even in Calif. where we both live! I had a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position installed at my local Costco about 5 months ago and the only mention of the switch from RFT to non-RFT was that the road hazard warranty would not be honored. Ironically, when I picked up a bolt in the R/R 2500 miles later that was too near the edge to repair, they just replaced it FOC without hesitation. BTW, I carry the same slime seal/pump kit as instafob above. $40 at Pep Boys. Hella cheaper than Conti kit!
Appreciate 0