Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
Yes this is one of the reasons why I probably won't have a smarttop in my new 35i - I do not know which other functions are monitored by BMW and may affect warranty claims.

Another reason is that my wife had her fingers between roof and window frame once when I was closing the roof in my old 23i (with another roof module - not smarttop!). I could stop the mechanism immediately, but unfortunately I could not reopen the roof and release my wife: I tried everything - keyfob, car buttons - nothing. Only when I started the engine after 5 min trying (just before calling the firefighters with their heavy tools), I could regain control of the roof and it finally went up again. So I and in particular my wife have a somehow "reduced confidence" in roof modules.

Of course this does not mean that the original smarttop module will indeed bring up the same issue, I think it is much more elaborated than the module I used to have
I recoded my car to have these functions, who needs a smarttop? Have not had any problem with mine but I never operate the top on a slope or in windy conditions. (Why would I open the top when the conditions are bad anyway?)

Seems you've had quite a dreadful experience with the roof though.