View Single Post
      03-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
ok, I just priced it out the way I would want it and the list price including destination will be US$63,920. Humm... I think I need to think about this and then drive it.

Edit: Thought about it. I priced some other cars equipped basically the same way and this is interesting 135i convertible - about 50K. 911 convertible. - About $106k. Boxster S convertible- 70K. SLK350 (the only folding hardtop) 65K

So, no matter how you slice it, this car is priced right for what you get. Can you get a 1 series cheaper, sure. But it is a 1 series. Can you buy a Porsche for the same price. No. Can you get one for about 7K more, sure.

All in all I think BMW did the right thing. Yes, it moves this car up a class (not directly targeted at the Boxster) and it opens a slot for a Z2 in the line up. BMWs strategy is to exploit niche markets. They will add a Z2, that will address the market for those that want a lighter roadster with a rag top. And likely it will be a bit more expensive than the 1 series convertible configured the same way.

Last edited by 155MPH; 03-29-2009 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: added addition thoughts
Appreciate 0